Dental Sealants in Albuquerque, NMLike most people, you probably don’t think about your teeth until something goes wrong, and then visiting your dentist for treatment is one of the first things that come to mind. But what if you could protect your teeth instead? Sealants are an easy and effective way to prevent cavities, tooth decay, and even tooth loss. But what are dental sealants, when do you need them, and what are the benefits of getting them?
What are dental sealants?Dental sealants are a treatment that helps protect your permanent teeth from tooth decay. Sealants are thin coatings made of plastic applied to the deep grooves and chewing surfaces of molars and premolars. This coating helps prevent plaque and bacteria from building up on the teeth and causing cavities and tooth decay. A sealant is a cost-effective treatment that helps prevent more costly procedures such as dental fillings or root canal treatments.
When do I need dental sealants?Sealants help protect bacteria and plaque buildup in the deep grooves or pits of teeth which can be difficult to reach even with proper brushing and flossing. These grooves can make teeth more prone to decay, so having them sealed is a great preventative measure. Sealants can also be helpful for children who have not yet developed mature tooth brushing and flossing habits. Children are still learning how to properly care for their teeth so sealants can prevent early tooth decay and dental issues.
Types of Sealants
Glass IonomerGlass ionomer sealants are bonded to the patient’s teeth by acid etching. They also release fluoride, an essential mineral to help strengthen teeth enamel.
Composite ResinComposite resin sealants are applied and cured with a special light. They are made of a plastic and ceramic material that matches the natural tooth color. This type of sealant does not release fluoride, but they are very durable and can last 5 to 10 years.
The ProcedureSealant application is a quick procedure that is non-invasive and pain-free.
- The dentist will clean the teeth first to remove any debris.
- Depending on the type of sealant, a small amount of acid will be added to the teeth to help the sealant form to the tooth.
- Using sealant material, the dentist will apply a thin coating layer to the grooves on the back teeth.
- Finally, the dentist will use a special light to help the sealant harden and bond to the tooth.
How long do dental sealants last?Dental sealants can last anywhere from five to ten years, but they will eventually wear down and need to be replaced. Our dentists will check your sealants during routine dental visits, but contact us immediately if you notice your sealant is damaged or needs to be replaced.
How much do dental sealants cost?Dental sealants are a cost-effective dental treatment that can help prevent cavities and tooth decay. At Essenmacher Family Dental we offer sealants for $32.
Benefits of Dental SealantsThere are many benefits of dental sealants, including:
- Prevention of cavities and tooth decay
- Protection against decay in difficult to clean areas, especially on the chewing surface.
- Reduced risk of dental infection
- Lessens the need for extensive dental treatment later on
Contact Essenmacher Family DentalEssenmacher Family Dental is a woman-owned dental care office in Albuquerque, New Mexico, offering various dental services, including:
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Implant Dentistry
- Cosmetic Dentistry including teeth whitening, veneers, and dental bonding
- General Dentistry, including teeth cleanings and exams
- Dental crowns and bridges
- Dental fillings and dental sealant
Other Dental Services